Benefits and Functionalities of Microsoft’s Azure Stack
Business Capabilities and Benefits
- Only hybrid cloud platform that is truly consistent with a leading public cloud
- Offers foundational (IaaS) services as well as PaaS/SaaS services to gradually transition to
- Provide Instant compliance with international and industry-specific compliance standards
- Gat an out of the box auditing trail for the complete stack, which conforms to Hipaa, PCI, Fedramp and more
- Benefit from a powerful reseller model.
- Enable and onboard new customers otherwise restricted to their older traditional IT model.
- Create unique offers per region. You can provide different services per region, mixing and matching the underlying resources and associated performance.
- Transfer from capital infrastructure cost (capex) to operational costs (opex) by using a pay-per-use cloud model.
- Monetize Azure Stack using chargeback data generated by the customizable billing meters.
- Deliver additional services, building your catalog through the marketplace.
- Control and reduce shadow IT. Developers already adopting Azure or doing shadow IT elsewhere, now can safely switch to locally controlled Azure services.
- Save on server licensing costs by using Microsoft Azure cloud on-boarding benefits.
- Use or offer new higher-level managed services made possible with a (hybrid) cloud model like advisory and security services.
- Monitor and track usage through the portal or API’s in one uniform way across clouds, analyze the data and enhance your application.
- Cut down costs by having a single pane of glass detailing all usage and costs.
- Companies can now develop for financial incentives instead of the usual technology incentives.
- Transition IT towards a stable profit center instead of the traditional fluctuating cost center by using agile DevOps practices.
- Pick your own hardware setup (even with an integrated system) with beefy CPU’s and speedy NVME disks.
- The network is local to you, no fee for network traffic, low latency, great performance.
- Benefit from the new super-fast storage spaces direct solution using ReFS.
- Add a physical server to the Azure Stack scale unit (cluster) for instant resource expansion.
- Retire/remove servers from the scale unit the same way.
- You can start small with only 4 servers at GA.
“Azure Stack brings the power of the new Microsoft software-defined networking, delivering technologies like VFP, OVSDB, VXLAN, BGP, NAT, network security groups (NSG), iDNS, user defined routes, packet direct, Switch Embedded Teaming (SET).”
- Azure Stack servers are hyper-converged using software-defined networking and storage in Windows Server 2016.
- Load-balancing (SLB) and distributed firewall are brought from Azure to Azure Stack.
- Benefit from Infrastructure as Code (IaC), so you can deploy or export your environment as code.
- Azure Stack’s Cloud model enables true agile DevOps practices
- Use higher level PaaS services like the App, Container or Service Fabric services and benefit from true cloud elasticity, scalability and agility.
- Developers want clean code and deploy their apps instantly to finished services without infrastructure or software component dependency hassles.
- Provide MySQL and SQL DB as a service.
- Leverage OMS, DSC, Docker and custom script VM extensions as a method for deploying software and configuration in an automated way into your VM’s.
- Use existing community-made quickstart ARM templates from GitHub to rollout your environment and get to know ARM.
- Use new Web apps, Mobile apps, and API apps. Use MySQL, PHP or deploy WordPress and other web-enabled applications from a template or from the App gallery.
- Create custom ‘Resource Providers’ under the Azure Stack admin context and provide your own custom services with Azure Stack.
- Use Azure Site Recovery (ASR) as a migration path.
- Use Azure AD or Active Directory with ADFS as your identity source.
- Additional Azure services such as Service Bus and Azure Backup service come with Azure Stack over time. Make use of multiple fault domains (clusters) in one region.
- VM Self-service diagnostics; VM redeployment, Serial Output, screen capture, VM local user password reset.