Part 1 and Part 2 went over the business capabilities and benefits, the functionalities, the infrastructure and benefits, and the impact that Azure Stack can have using it’s hybrid cloud capabilities.
Implications of a hybrid enviornment
- Extend your environment to Azure or to other Azure Stacks in a different rack, room, datacenter, city, country, or continent!
- Achieve cross-premises and stack-to-stack connectivity with site-to-site VPN.
- Create true Hybrid cloud apps by using load-balancing across two locations.
- Hyper-Scale to Azure when you need more capacity in case of an event. Only pay for the resources used.
- Host compute front ends in Azure in multiple geographical regions; host back end data locally in Azure Stack.
- Use and mix storage, compute, and network capacity where it makes sense.
- Use hybrid identity with Azure Active Directory and on-premise Active Directory.
- Benefit from a consistent disaster-recovery and backup plan offsite with instant fail-over to another region.
- Provide Azure services more local to companies where latency and jitter to public or to the internet in general is a big issue.
- Use Azure Stack as a mobile datacenter at remote oil rigs, hospitals, factories, ships, and airplanes in a disconnected scenario and sync with public or other clouds when connected.
- Gain the flexibility to instantly switch workloads to Azure or other Stacks.
- Benefit from the data sovereignty and regulation options provided with a consistent hybrid cloud. Place data and workloads in clouds that comply with company policies.
- Dev-test in Azure Stack or on the free one-node developer kit and publish into production on Azure or Azure Stack.
- Easily relocate applications and solutions developed on Azure to another location than the public cloud.
- Use storage accounts to provide file storage via a file share or blob endpoint over HTTPS.
- ISV’s can develop marketplace apps or app solutions that span Azure and Azure Stack.
- Provide Hybrid monitoring of Azure and Azure Stack assets with OMS from multiple Azure regions.
Azure Stack Consistency
- Benefit from consistent portal experience and developer/admin tools for every platform (Mac OS X/Linux/Windows).
- Use consistent administrative and cloud service API’s, that work the same way in any cloud. Customers can now invest heavily in automating development, deployment and operation activities knowing that they will not have to be rewritten.
- Azure Stack provides infrastructure or application deployment templates for any environment, no matter where you run your test, staging or production environment.
- Standardize RBAC, usage, and audit capabilities that work the same way across all cloud services.
- ISV’s can create solutions that work the same way on public and private.
- Use existing third-party marketplace items developed for Azure by Microsoft partners in Azure Stack’s marketplace.
- Microsoft guarantees the consistency between clouds with regular update release cycles, so you don’t need to spend resources attempting to do that on your own.