Power Map Preview for Excel 2013 is an exciting and powerful new data visualization tool for geographical related data.
Currently in preview, you can download Power Map here.
To follow along with this brief tour, download the NOAA Natural Disasters sample dataset.
- Open the NOAA Hazards.xlsx workbook with Excel 2013 client. Note the rich sample dataset.
- Select the Insert tab in the Ribbon.
- Click the Map dropdown button in the GeoFlow section in the Ribbon and select Launch GeoFlow.
- Select the Disasters 1973-2013 Tour.
- Note the single scene in the Tour Editor pane on the left hand side.
- The main visualization surface in the center has many overlays including Time Line, Time Decorator, and Layer information. These can be added or removed as desired.
- The Task Panel on the right hand side has several sections to configure the selected scene:
- Click the Play Tour button in the Ribbon to view the Tour.
- You will see the globe slowly turn while time and geo related data is displayed.
- Let’s make a few quick modifications. We’ll start by changing the Chart Type for Tornados from Bubble to HeatMap, in the Layer Configuration section of the Task Panel.
- Next, we’ll change the theme. Click the Themes drop down and select a theme from the thumbnail gallery.
- Play the tour again to see the changes.
This is just a brief tour of Power Map Preview for Excel 2013.
Next post I’ll show you how to create a Tour with mulitple scences from scratch.
Have fun with Power Map for Excel 2013!