Business Intelligence Dashboard
Analyze business data from diverse external sources
Microsoft engaged 3Sharp to create a proof of concept demonstration showing how SharePoint Server 2010, PerformancePoint Services, and other Microsoft products can help clients view and analyze business data. In this demonstration, a large electronics retailer uses a central SharePoint site to manage and fulfill customer orders.
3Sharp developed a Procurement Dashboard within SharePoint that retrieves and displays data related to the procurement process. A PerformancePoint inventory report, connected to an external database with Business Connectivity Services, graphically shows key performance indicators (KPI’s), such as quantity on hand and inventory unit cost. By drilling into this data, a manager can identify where computer inventory is located, how many units are available, and which vendors have sufficient inventory to fulfill an order.
A map-based shipping report, created in Microsoft Visio, enables the manager to analyze vendor delivery performance across different areas of the U.S. The map links to an external SQL Server database containing metrics such as on-time percentage and cost per unit for regional shipping companies. A customized report created with SQL Server Report Builder reveals why recent delivery issues may have occurred.
- The dashboard provides actionable information that can be used to make well-informed business decisions.
- Decision makers save time because they can explore business data relationships using an intuitive, visual interface instead of having to create complex queries and customized reports.
- Because the business intelligence dashboard is always connected to the underlying databases, reports and documents linked to the databases are always up to date.
Disclaimer: The solution and benefits described in this case study demonstrate a software proof of concept created by 3Sharp. The business need scenario describes Contoso, a fictitious company created by Microsoft Corporation for demonstration purposes. A SharePoint business intelligence dashboard enables detailed analysis of corporate data through an easy to use graphical user interface.
- Microsoft® SharePoint® Server 2010
- PerformancePoint® 2010 Dashboards with KPI’s, Reports, Filters, Decomposition Tree
- PowerPivot integration
- Microsoft Visio 2010
- Microsoft Business Connectivity Services (BCS) with multiple external data sources
- SQL Server Report Builder