A few months ago I wrote about how a Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 workflow can be used to update SharePoint list items. In that post the workflow logic that was described was attached to a specific document library, and the Update List Item action was used to set field values for files in that library.
I have since found out that Office SharePoint Designer 2007 workflow functionality can extend to other SharePoint lists. For example, in a project that I recently completed, there was a document library that stored Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 loan application files. Each application form file had an associated Microsoft Office Word 2007 credit report, which was stored in another document library. The loan application form file and associated credit report shared two common values: an ID and a status. The scenario called for an update to the loan application status value whenever the corresponding value in the credit report was changed. In order to implement this functionality, I created a workflow that was attached to the credit report document library. I then added action sets for each of the three possible status values (In Review, Approved, and Rejected), with actions to update the related item in the loan application document library. The following steps show how to create an action in the Workflow Designer that would work for this scenario:
- Click Actions | Update List Item.
- Click this list.
- In the Update List Item dialog box, change the List list value to the name of the loan application document library.
- In the Find the List Item section, change the Field list value to the name of the ID field in the loan application document library.
- Click the Workflow Lookup icon, to the far right of the Value box.
- In the Define Workflow Lookup dialog box, change the Field list value to the name of the ID field in the credit report document library and click OK.
- In the Update List Item dialog box, click Add.
- In the Value Assignment dialog box, change the Set this field list value to the name of the status field in the loan application document library.
- In the To this value box, type the new status value and click OK.
- In the Update List Item dialog box, click OK.
Office SharePoint Designer 2007 workflows offer more than just actions for items in the list to which they are attached. Depending on your site structure, you can also manage items that are in different lists.